Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas Day (Afternoon)

In the afternoon we met the Klassens at the Samara Square (Samarckaya Ploshed). Here are the kiddos in front of a big tree. The sign on it says "Happy New Year".
IMG_9911

Everyone, including the adults, had a lot of fun playing in the snow. Josiah got clobbered in the face by a snowball thrown by "uncle" Brad. Jon did his best to get Brad back. Jon was also acting like a teenager and throwing himself onto the snow piles. He paid for it the next day.
IMG_9917

This is a Russian Orthodox church. It is probably one of the most popular sites in Samara. It sits on a hill overlooking the Volga River. I have never seen it in person and we have lived here for almost 4 years!
IMG_9916

This is another popular site which I saw for the first time. It is a memorial to Russian soldiers. The profile on this side is a mother and........
IMG_9913

this is the profile of a soldier.
IMG_9915

Then it was time for some sledding!
IMG_9926

2 comments:

By the Brook said...

Do the Russian kids also refer to adults whom they know as 'Auntie and Uncle'? We do that in Africa too. Thanks for the pics. I enjoy your blog- you're good at it. Love to Heather from me too. Looking forward to seeing you all later this year, Lord willing.

Natalie said...

You know what? I have no clue!!! I think maybe they do but not totally sure. But on the team we do have the kids call the grown-ups by uncle and auntie.

Can't wait to catch up with you guys "live" in August. I have been praying for you and all those health issues. I enjoy your blog too : )!!!