Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Past - Day 10

Celebrating Christmas 2002 in January 2003
image_1885593520032921047

In November of 2002, Jon's father was diagnosed with cancer, making this trip to Iowa an extra special one. Jon requested that as his Christmas present we take a road trip to the Black Hills in South Dakota. He and his family shared a lot of memories there. In a way it was a sentimental trip and one that we are so grateful we went on. It was quite the road trip to get there, I think it was about 7 hours. On our way there we stopped at the Badlands. What an amazing place and so eerie because no one was there and it was covered in snow. At this point I was about 1 1/2 months pregnant and on our trip up to the Black Hills I started bleeding. I didn't want to tell anyone because I didn't want to ruin the trip and have to head back home. It was at this point that the Oncologist at Children's Hospital of L.A. thought that my platelets mixed with Josiah's platelets and began killing his platelets off making the first few months of Josiah's life quite a scary one for us. Regardless of the bleeding I still managed to have a good time and I am so thankful for this trip because we made some real special memories that we will all have for a long time.
image_1885594420032921048

Well here's Mt. Rushmore! Have you ever been there? What an incredible sight those presidents are! This was only a year and a few months after September 11 so the general feeling in the country was still very patriotic. I have to confess that as we drove up to the mountain we went around a bend and as I caught my first glimpse I began to choke up. I was really overwhelmed with emotions, maybe it was because I was pregnant.
image_188972622003210231842

I love this picture of my in-laws.
image_188972532003210231841

1 comment:

rick said...

Praise God for His protection of Josiah and you guys.