Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Blessing of the Easter Bread

This past weekend our family spent a morning hanging out at the local "square".  I really enjoy going there because it is a big open space and everything is usually very clean.  There is also a Russian Orthodox church that sits on a hill overlooking the river.  While we were there, I noticed a group of people standing at one of the entrances.  There was also a table with Easter breads on it and more Easter breads on the ledges.  I remembered that my friend Heather had mentioned that the priest blesses these cakes so I stood around waiting to watch and snap some pictures. 
People gathering around the entrance.


People bringing more Easter bread.


The priest comes out at 12 noon to say a prayer and bless the food.



Here the priest is sprinkling the "holy water" on all the breads.
As I watched I felt very sad for these people.  I don't quite understand why the bread needs a blessing from a priest.  Yesterday, I Googled why this happens and what the meaning is.  Basically, the breads 
get blessed and then are eaten the following day on Easter Sunday.  I also found the following prayer that the priest recites before he "blesses" the breads:

"Bless, O Lord, this creation that it may be a means of salvation to the human race, And grant that, by the invocation of Thy Holy Name, it may promote health of body, and salvation of soul in those who partake of it, through Christ our Lord."

After reading that prayer it made me even more sad to think that these followers are being led astrayed by thinking that their good works and blessings from a priest will get them to heaven.  I made an observation to my husband that usually when women are standing outside the Russian Orthodox church they do not wear their head coverings but that this time all the women had their head coverings on.  He commented that they did this because the priest represents holiness and since he would be stepping out of the church the women needed to have their heads covered.  Recently we had a man who is in the preacher's help program where Jon teaches at over for dinner.  He was telling us how Russian Orthodox believers think that God dwells in the Russian Orthodox church which then gives them the liberty to live their lives freely outside of the "church". All this makes me so grateful for God's saving grace on my life and so thankful for the work of Christ on the cross!!!



No comments: