Monday, December 17, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Cookies- Sugar and Spice Cookies

I really can't remember where I got this recipe but it's one of my favorite cookies. Unfortunately I can't make them often enough here because there is no molasses so that's an ingredient I usually have to bring back with me. Just for fun, here are some baking ingredients we can't buy here:
cream of tartar
molasses
corn syrup
chocolate chips
marshmallow creme
shortening

I am sure I am missing much more but I've learned to substitute or for example chop up a chocolate bar, etc.

Here's the recipe:

Sugar and Spice Cookies
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup Crisco
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
extra sugar for rolling dough in

Blend butter/margarine, Crisco, and sugar. Add and mix eggs, molasses, salt, cinnamon, ground cloves, and ginger. Mix in flour and baking soda gradually. Form small balls, roll in the extra granulated sugar. Place on cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

This recipe makes a ton of cookies. Today I just made half of the recipe since we are piling up on cookies!!


Pin It

1 comment:

Unknown said...

did you know you can make corn syrup? i do it all the time...http://www.tasteofhome.com/Cooking-Tips/Pantry-Pointers/Substitute-for-Corn-Syrup

Every recipe I've subbed this for has worked. It's amazing how many times corn syrup is called for in a recipe!