Today as I was preparing dinner, I began thinking about how much I hate the preparation of potatoes. Here are my reasons:
1. Potatoes in Russia are very dirty. It is a pain to clean and scrub them. My sink is a huge mess once I am done.
2. I don't like to peel them. 9 out of 10 times I end up with a little cut from trying to peel them. It also takes forever to peel potatoes.
3. Chopping them is another pain. They are so hard to cut through.
4. I never cook them right. I think I am always in a hurry to get them done so it seems like it takes forever to get them soft enough.
5. I also hate handling hot baked potatoes. I always burn myself. Especially when I make twice baked potatoes and I have to scoop out the inside.
and last but not least.
6. My mashed potatoes are atrocious. Way too lumpy. I can never mash them enough.
Unfortunately for me, potatoes are a huge staple here in Russia. In the winter, vegetables are very short in supply so potatoes always make a great side dish. I do like eating them, don't get me wrong, just preparing them is a pain. Potatoes are pretty much guaranteed to be found on a Russian table for a meal. Potatoes along with chives, sour cream, and mayonaise (not mixed together) are total staples here and most likely you will find one if not all waiting for you at dinner or lunch.