Thursday, March 5, 2009

Confessions of a worry wart.


I should have known that something was going on when both boys sat super still watching High School Musical on the evening of Feb. 22nd. For one thing, Nathan never sits still. Secondly, why would Josiah be remotely interested in High School Musical? At about 1:30 in the morning Josiah woke up with a super high fever and then vomited. I knew that this was going to be the beginning of a very long and exhausting week. Being the crazy parent that I am, I thought he would have a febrile seizure so I slept on the floor to make sure he would be o.k. Let me rephrase that, I slept on CONCRETE floor with hardly any padding. I didn't sleep much at all because with every little groan Josiah made I immediately sprung up to check on him.

Monday morning came too quickly and I could not get his fever to break. Being the worried mom that I am, my thoughts began to wonder. Maybe he has pneuomonia, maybe he has some rare disease, what if I can't get the fever to break, Nathan is now going to get this, what if he ends up in the hospital, and so forth.

Sure enough, the very next day Nathan ended up with the same thing. This of course meant many more sleepless nights for me. Jon at this point was also feeling miserable and for you wives reading this, well you understand what it is like having a sick husband. I don't need to say more. Let's just say that for several days I ran around like a nurse doing my rounds from room to room and trying my very best to keep a good and cheery attitude on 2-3 hours of sleep every night. On top of it all the boys fevers took 4 days to break. Thankfully I have antibiotics so everyone was put on antibiotics and several other medications.

It is no fun having sick children. I hate seeing my boys in so much pain and not knowing exactly how I can help them. It is even worse being in Russia when they are sick because the health care is not quite comparable to what it is like in the States. I do a lot of worrying or better yet I do a lot of sinning. I am always thinking of the "what ifs". Always wondering what I could have done instead. We don't have our wonderful Dr. Tamashiro (the boys pediatrician and my former boss of 10 years) in Samara. But we do have the Great Physician. The One I can go to in prayer and give up all my worries and "what ifs" to. Just because we are on the mission field doesn't mean He's promised to keep us all healthy and out of danger. I have to place my whole trust in Him knowing that He does what is best for us and what brings Him glory. Everyone is pretty much better now aside from the residual cough and I am finally getting some much needed sleep. Praise God!

3 comments:

Kempiz said...

So glad that you are all doing better now. We just climbed out of the mire of sickness ourselves. When kids are that sick for that long it seems like it will never end! Praise God that He teaches us to trust Him through the trials of sickness.

rick said...

Sorry to hear about all the sickies... praise God for sustaining you! Good to hear that everyone is on the mend. I'll pray you don't catch anything, now that the storm has mostly subsided.

Anonymous said...

Glad everyone is feeling better!