Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Petra and Thankful Heart

Often times when I find myself complaining or being upset about something I start singing "I have a thankful heart" by Petra.  Before today I didn't know it was a Petra song, I just thought it was a song from "the Band" when I was on high school staff.  Anyway,  I sing a few lines and then remind myself that I have much to be thankful for:
1.  I have a thankful heart because Christ is really all I need.  It doesn't matter as long as I have Christ.
2.  Our visa woes continue and it almost seems humorous to have come this far and come to such a huge roadblock.  I have been worried and losing sleep over it yet in the midst of it I am rejoicing because God is teaching me to be patient and wait upon his timing.  I remember when I was in college group at Grace our pastor taught on circumstances and that circumstances do not determine God's will.  And of our need to live above those circumstances.  I don't remember much else from that sermon over 14 years ago but that statement is as clear as day for me.
3.  I'm grateful for good friends and e-mail.  Today Angela Sowers (Pastor's wife of Jon's home church in Iowa) e-mailed me to encourage me regarding our visa situation.  She gave me this great quote by Matthew Henry "The delays of mercy are not to be construed as unanswered prayer".  These "words" were like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in right circumstances. Proverbs 25:11
4.  Even as I write this I can see that I don't have the right font as #1 and #2.  Maybe a couple of years ago this would have driven me nuts but I'm so thankful that God is growing me and teaching me to set aside little things like this.  For example Nathan put gum in his hair the other day and instead of becoming upset I grabbed the camera and laughed.  On Monday I baked a huge pan of banana bars and I don't know what happened but the tray slipped out of my hands and landed upside down on the floor!!!  I chose not to get upset about that either.
5.  Today I'm especially praising God for my mother's doctor's appointment.  She has had serious stomach problems the last few months.  Today she had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy.  She called me to tell me that she was o.k. after the procedure.  The surgeon took 3 biopsies but told her she did not have cancer.  I don't know how he would know right away but I will take that as good news.  For now we will wait and see what the next step is and what the results of the biopsies will be.  

I have to confess that between our visa situation and my mom's health problems my mind has been preoccupied but I praise God because He is still on His throne and hasn't flinched one bit!  What an amazing God we serve!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay so glad about your mom! will continue to pray about your visa situation!!!