Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Lighthouse


I absolutely love lighthouses and even though this lighthouse doesn't necessarily look like the long towering lighthouses, I do love the whole idea of being a lighthouse keeper.  Maybe I'm romanticizing it a little but I think it would be kinda cool.

This lighthouse was built and 1854 and had eleven different keepers.  The lighthouse functioned from 1855 until 1891.  Unfortunately the location had a serious flaw...........fog and low clouds obscured the light.


My theologian husband loves lighthouses because he says they are excellent sermon illustrations.  Here is a quote we found inside the museum of the lighthouse:
"I can think of no other edifice constructed by man as altruistic as a lighthouse.  They were built only to serve.  They weren't built for any other purpose....."
George Bernard Shaw



1 comment:

Our Family said...

Beautiful photos, Natalie! And I love George Bernard Shaw's quote. I want to be a lighthouse!

Mrs. Beaver