Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Blessings

I love the hymn "Count Your Blessings". One day we sang it in Russian and I quickly fell in love with the melody and the cheeriness of the song. Little did I know it was originally a hymn in English. I guess I never sang it before. Ever since I have found myself singing this song throughout my days, especially on those rough days. The chorus goes like this:

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.


As the year now comes to an end I have been reflecting upon all the blessings the Lord has bestowed on me. A lot of times there were blessings in disguise but every time gave me an opportunity to thank the Lord for His goodness in my life.

  • Amidst all the challenges of homeschooling I am so blessed to have the opportunity to teach my children. On top of it all I am learning so much myself and learning a lot about myself and how I fall short in so many areas.
  • We are blessed to be in a new church with a great Sunday School program for the boys. Leaving the church we attended here for 5 years was not easy but it was necessary. We went through some tough times but praise God for blessing us with Transfiguration Baptist Church and for new friends we are making there while getting better acquainted with other friends.
  • It was a blessing to be able to stay in Samara this summer. Usually we return to the States but because of the kind of visa that we have now we did not need to return. I do confess that at first it wasn't easy, especially for my eldest son, but having our friends and fellow teammates the Klassens staying here for the summer helped us to have a great summer. Jon's mom also came to visit for 5 1/2 weeks and the boys just loved that.
  • Staying behind this summer allowed us to make a trip to Mallorca, Spain where I have 1 uncle and 5 cousins who live there. I had not seen them in over 27 years. Family is really so important to me and what a blessing it was to be reunited with them. Thanks to frequent flier miles, and my gracious cousin Dario, the trip was low cost!!!  
  • I am also blessed by my husband who stands on God's Word alone even if it means rejection from friends and (sadly) family. I won't go into detail on this blog but let's just say when one lives by the Word their life will be radically different and will require the confrontation of sin in the lives of others if necessary. I'm thankful for his example and for his desire to practice what he preaches day in and day out!!!
I could probably go on and on but really those are the top blessings for me this year! I look forward to the New Year but as always with a little trepidation. One truth is for sure though, that God will continue to sit on His throne in sovereignty over all the details of my life in 2012!

So.....Happy New Year !
 




By the way, here's the whole hymn just in case you never heard it:


When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Refrain
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.

Refrain
When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings. Wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

Refrain
So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be disheartened, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

Refrain

No comments: