Monday, November 19, 2012

Countdown to Thanksgiving: Day 6

I know that Thanksgiving is 4 days away but because Thanksgiving is not celebrated here in Russia (duh), Thursday will be a regular day for our family. Our family will celebrate with some of our close friends on Saturday instead, so that means I have a few days to get ready!

Today I prepped a little. Made some lists, planned the menu, etc. I also made a mix for the rice I plan to make for our big meal. It's actually my friend Heather's recipe and it's my go to side dish now when we have guests because it's super easy to make.

So, here's the recipe along with all of Heather's little notes.

Almond Rice Seasoning Mix

1 cup slivered almonds, toasted(I hardly ever put that many ...also last time I just cut them up)
2 tbsp dried parsley flakes
4 1/2 tsp dill weed
1 tbsp minced onion
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp celery seed
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper

Additional ingredients ...(for one batch)

2 cups chicken broth
1 cup long grain rice
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel(I often leave this out)

Store in airtight container for 3 months.

Bring broth, 3 tbsp mix to a boil.  Add rice, butter and lemon and simmer for 15 -20 min like regular rice.

So, even though my friend leaves the lemon peel out, I don't! I love it!!!

                                                              I love how all the spices look!





I also wrote the directions on how to make the rice on the top so that I don't have to pull my recipe out every time.
Pin It


No comments: