Monday, November 25, 2013

Thanksgiving Week- Part 1

It's been a long time since we have been Stateside for Thanksgiving. When we were in Russia we never really celebrated Thanksgiving on the actual date. Jon went off to teach and I usually had small group on the fourth Thursday of every month. We would try to get together as a team to celebrate but that was usually a few days after.

Of course it's good to reflect upon all that we are thankful for during this season. Today I wanted to share some things that I'm thankful for that perhaps some people may not be so thankful about, particularly things I learned from living in Russia.

I'm thankful that I lived in another country for over 8 years. I've learned so much both spiritually and culturally. I'm still transitioning in my mind and thinking over all the changes we went through during that time. It wasn't easy living overseas and yet I miss it terribly. 

I'm thankful for the days I had to walk home from the store in the freezing snow carrying several pounds of groceries. It built endurance in me and taught me not to complain. It also humbled me because there were so many times I looked like such a fool. For example the time we had a huge snowfall and I had to go buy diapers and baby food for Nathan at a store that was 1 mile away. There were no paths whatsoever and I had the genius idea of taking our sled with me. I basically ended up carrying the sled home with all the items on top of it while the snow literally came up to my knees. 
Can't forget the times I had to walks on sheets of ice.... it taught me balance and to walk slow!




I'm thankful for all the long lines I waited in, all the layovers and missed flights, and in general the whole ordeal with getting our 3 year visa. This taught me, actually forced me, to become patient in all circumstances. I also learned to just go with the flow and that worrying never got me anywhere!

I'm thankful for all the times I couldn't communicate in Russian. This taught me to hold my tongue and to just become an observer. There were plenty of times where I wanted "to give someone a piece of my mind" but thankfully it just stayed in my mind because trying to communicate what I was thinking into Russian would have sounded awful!

I could probably go on and on but all that I have learned in Russia has helped me tremendously to make the transition back into the United States. 

No comments: