Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies

I've always been intrigued by "red velvet".  I've yet to make anything red velvet until today.  I know that it requires a lot of red food coloring and my mother-in-law has put a fear in me of red food coloring.  She says it causes hyperactivity and she was always warned sternly by my husband's pediatrician.  Anyway, hyperactivity or not I still decided to try it out.  I saw this recipe during Valentines and bookmarked it to try one day.  I made whoopie pies for the first time last fall and boy do they take a lot of time!  Today was no exception!!!
This is how the dough looks like.  The recipe called for 3 teaspoons 
of red food coloring but I only used 2 teaspoons.

My whoopie pies don't look as pretty as the ones on the blog but
I am happy with the way they turned out.  These (in the picture) have
more frosting in the middle than the other ones I made so if you like
more frosting in them then you should definitely make more frosting 
than what the  recipe calls for. I ended up with 42 whoopie pies
and the boys gave me a thumbs up for taste!!!





No comments: