Sunday, August 21, 2011

First Week of School

We officially began our school year last week.  Aside from a couple of rough starts to our days, I am happy with the way things went.
Jojo has started 2nd grade and he's afraid it's going to be really
hard.  His favorite subject once again is Math.  We use Saxon
Math and we both absolutely love it.  I've read several reviews
about this curriculum and people either love it or hate it.  He's
looking forward to Science but we won't start that for another 
week.  This year we added History and he seems to like it so
far.  One thing about living overseas is the lack of library books.
I often wish I could just go to the library and check out a ton of
books to help supplement what the boys are learning, but I've
been real thankful for Google books and the amount of free
material that is available through that site.  




Nathan officially started pre-school.  My friend Heather let me
borrow Heart of Dakota, Little Hands to Heaven and Nathan
is really loving it.  I have to confess that when I first looked 
through it I wasn't horribly impressed but I thought we'd try
it and thankfully Nathan is having a blast.  I feel a little silly
doing the "fingerplay" chant or song but I can see how effective
it is to get him to remember the sound the letter makes.


 

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi Natalie,

I've been finding wonderful resources for education materials online. Check this one out:

http://gardenofpraise.com/index.htm

and also this one:

http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/home.html

from that Christian Answers encyclopedia I found this that helped me research more about Gilgamesh which came up in my history class. Check out this fantastic info on Gilgamesh who many researchers believe was the Nimrod of the Bible shortly after the flood. They give the reasons why and make a good case:

http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/nimrod.html